Go back to the Job List
This post has expired! It was posted more than 327 days ago.
R&D EngineerPosted by: Nokia Siemens Networks
Posted date: Sat, 12th Jan
Nokia Siemens Networks is the world's specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world's most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly. With headquarters in Espoo, Finland, we operate in over 150 countries around the globe. Works as an experienced Engineer in in product, system or technology program in System Design or Integration & Verification. Works under general direction and interprets internal/external business issues and recommended best practice in own discipline.
He/she has the senior responsibility for specifying, planning, reporting, designing and reviewing in his/her technical area (e.g. system component). Is an expert for techno-economical aspects in own responsibility area. Leads and executes technical activities and programs within own responsibility area including reviews and relevant technical studies. Supports resource and program planning. Writes requirements, specifications and other guiding documentation for R&D from product/program/system point of view. High contribution to project milestones by solving/avoiding most complex problems, through understanding dependencies across product / system boundaries. Coaches other team members in solving advanced engineering problems at system component level.
The component engineer assesses advanced opto-electronic technologies, components and modules with respect to cost, functionality and overall optical system performance in close alignment with other optical engineers, system architects, product managers and customer representatives. He engages in a close technical dialogue with ON's existing supplier base as well as with new start-up companies. Moreover, he interacts with key customers to understand their requirements and to explain how the ON concepts match customer requirements.
The work includes, among others, the following aspects:
- Negotiation of component and module specifications
- Technology screening for optical components, technology roadmap ownership for selected technology fields
- Comparison of optical base technologies with relevance for ON products, derivation of recommendations for System Architecture and Product Management
- Main technical interface to selected suppliers during product definition and development phase
- Assessment of optical system performance of advanced optical technologies via simulations and experiments.
- Engagement in customer communication related to optical technologies, components and modules
- University degree in electrical engineering, physics or telecommunication engineering, Ph.D. desirable.
- More than 3 years of experience in research and development of optical communication systems, excellent knowledge in fiber optics and related optical technologies.
- More than 3 years of experience in the evaluation and specification of optical components and modules.
- More than 3 years of experience in modeling and experimental testing of optical system performance.
- Sense for the business relevance of innovative optical technologies
- Ability to quickly understand and analyze complex technical concepts.
- Ability to drive research and development.
- Excellent team work and communication skills, experience in working in cross-cultural, international teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Highly independent and self directed person.